Are You Playing Too Small?
If you don’t feel at least a little bit of fear about reaching your goals, you are playing too small and staying in the safe zone.
Are you afraid of being criticized? Everyone who tries something new is open to criticism. Those who criticize might be
- Jealous of your courage
- Not have your best interests at heart
- Not want you to get ahead
Is your criticism coming from yourself rather than others? That can be even harder to overcome. Here are a few tips to help you along.
- Keep a positive attitude toward new challenges. See them as opportunities for growth.
- Consider all possible outcomes before you start your plan. This minimizes your chances of surprises.
- Determine the worst thing that could happen. Your imagination is probably much worse than the reality.
- Have a plan B (and C and D) in the wings so you can make adjustments as you go.
Make it a habit to do one thing each week that pushes you out of your comfort zone. Record how your experience went and how it made you feel. Read over these experiences when you have the opportunity to stretch your comfort zone and feel that fear creeping in.
Don’t play too small. Remember, you can’t become more than you are right now if you stay in your comfort zone.